Tuesday 17 March 2015

Running the gauntlet of the DWP


Good morning, I have had a better nights sleep last night and woken feeling I've slept which has made all the difference.



I filled in the ESA forms yesterday, gosh that's long winded but much simpler to fill in. 
It will ask about your dexterity and explain things you can and cant do. What helps, what makes it worse for example. So I said I can hold a pen and write although writing is wriggly due to shaking hands (its obv from my handwriting filling in the form lol) but I cant do a button up or pick up a 5p. 

The PIP form is much more open ended and subject to interpretation. Such as "Can you prepare a meal?" I said to the lady what do they take a meal to mean? I can peel a banana and open a yogurt and crisps is that a meal? I can put a ready meal in the oven is that one? 
So we wrote I can cook a roast dinner as each part can be done of a long time scale. I peel veg on the sofa, Chop them sitting on a chair in kitchen and turn the hob on. I cant fill a pan up with water and I cant lift a tray out the oven. Its all done in stages that I can rest and sit down in between. Once its in the oven there's not much to do for an hour so its do-able. 

I said however, I couldn't stand there continuously cooking in the kitchen such as something needing stirring like a risotto.
But someone may never cook a meal anyway as their partner does it so just ticks NO, but actually means yes, but they don't. Hence the interpretation.

I also sent off the ssp1 form to my boss the CAB gave me and a note asking her to fill and send back asap as my esa forms wont go any further without it. Today sods law was in full swing, I got a copy (finally) back from her so she will get mine today lol. Opps. Regardless its another form I can send off today and walking to the post box on our estate is a good excuse to get me up and doing something. The fresh air will do me good also.

So my income is in the hands of the government.......that is a daunting thought  
I have no idea how long realistically it will all take also. 
Thankfully DH income is enough to cover everything so we haven't got a financial worry, all the bills will be covered and we have enough for food etc. It means we cant buy things on a whim as we had got used to with two good incomes a month. But compared to many in the benefit waiting line, we are 'comfortable' and don't have that as an added worry. 
I said to the lady at the CAB how scary the filling of forms is, I like to consider myself a savvy person (on a good day) and I found the questions misleading and baffling. 
If I was doing it on my own I would probably give up. I can see why people do. 
I can see why people are left with nothing as they cant cope with filling in all the tedious boxes. 

Its a week away now until I see the Neuro Physio, I am really hoping they will be able to tell me more than the other professionals but I am trying to not pin too much hope on them. I am hoping they will see me walk and be able to tell me whats causing the problems with my pelvis, osteo says my pelvis is fixed and hips don't move independent of my pelvis, they are rigid and my pelvis moves rather than my hips if that makes sense. So they will see what's going wrong and be able to work on this.....She says with baited breath.....


Really enjoying writing my blog, its helping keeping the grey cells firing and is something to look forward to whilst I'm home alone. Tuesdays are my worst days as DH has been home since Friday night and son is at college 8-5 today so I'm home alone all day. x 

No comments:

Post a Comment